The Wythe County Board of Supervisors will convene in regular session on Friday, November 2, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. to review recommendations for the Appalachian Regional Exposition Center construction project and Ready Mix Road improvement project. Click here for agenda.
The meeting will take place in the Board Room of the County Administration Building, 340 South Sixth Street, Wytheville, Virginia.
By Order of the
Wythe County Board of Supervisors
LOCAL SUPER BOWL XXIV & CHEERMANIA TO BE HELD THIS WEEKEND
WYTHEVILLE, Va. – Super Bowl XXIV & Cheermania will be held this weekend at Rural Retreat High School. The event is hosted by the Wythe County Parks and Recreation Department and the Town of Wytheville Parks and Recreation Department.
Cheermania kicks off at 9:30 a.m. and the Super Bowl game starts at 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 27th.
Wythe County Sports Coordinator J.B. Wright said everyone is looking forward to having a great time at this year’s event.
“Come on out and have a good time cheering on your favorite team,” Wright said. “It’s going to be good football weather this weekend.”
The two elementary J.V. teams facing off on Saturday are the Max Meadows Vikings and the Sheffey Wildcats. This game kicks off at 12:30 p.m. The 5th and 6th grade teams square off at 2 p.m. with the Wytheville Maroons taking on the Wytheville Maroons Silver. All games will be played at Rural Retreat High School. Both games will be broadcast live on 95.3 WXBX.
Wythe County Parks and Recreation Department Director Kevin Williams encouraged everyone to come out and enjoy the games.
“Come support the teams and the cheerleaders,” Williams said. “They’ve worked hard to get where they’re at this season. It’s been great to see them progress from where they started.”
The event is sponsored by Williams Meat Processing, Nationwide Insurance-David Martin, Clarke Precision Machine, Boone Tractor of Ft. Chiswell and other donors.
Prepare for Colder Weather
October 23, 2018
With colder weather forecast for our area, Wythe County would like you and your family to stay safe. Wythe County has already had and is still forecast for temperatures below freezing along with precipitation. Here are some initial tips to get you and your family prepared for the colder weather.
• Plan ahead! Keep a stock of extra food, water, batteries, blankets, and medicines in case of power outages or the unexpected. Keep informed of changing weather from local media.
• Wear layers when outside doing activities and stay hydrated.
• Bring pets inside or provide adequate provisions to keep them warm. Keep them hydrated with plenty of fresh water (not frozen) when outside.
• Make sure your address is visible from the street to assist emergency responders in locating you during an emergency.
• Install, test, and maintain working smoke alarms in the home.
• Furnaces, fireplaces, and chimneys should be routinely cleaned and inspected. It is recommended to contract a qualified technician for repairs and maintenance.
• Turn off portable heaters when unattended, and keep pets and children at a safe distance from heating elements.
• Keep combustible materials at least 3’ from space heaters, furnaces, and fireplaces.
• Never use your oven or stove for heating purposes.
• Dispose of ashes in a metal container. Place the container outdoors, away from combustible materials or construction.
• Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning. Carbon monoxide alarms are NOT a substitute for smoke alarms.
• Check in on neighbors, especially the elderly, to make sure everyone is safe.
Let’s keep Wythe County safe and help each other. If you have an emergency call 911 for assistance. If you have any questions visit wytheco.org or email our office. Thank you and Stay Safe!
Curtis W. Crawford
Emergency Services Coordinator
PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE
The Wythe County Planning Commission will be conducting a public hearing on Monday, November 5, 2018 beginning at 7:05 p.m., or soon thereafter, to consider an application for variance to the Wythe County Subdivision Ordinance.
At 7:05 p.m. the Commission will conduct a public hearing to consider an application submitted by Jason and Evelyn Crowder requesting a variance to Section 5.3.1(8) of the Wythe County Subdivision Ordinance regarding the minimum lot frontage and Section 5.3.7 regarding the building setback lines.
The hearing will be conducted in the Board Room of the Wythe County Administration Building, 340 South 6th Street, Wytheville, VA. Any person may appear and state their views thereon. The hearing is held in compliance with Section 18.104.22.168 of the Subdivision Ordinance of Wythe County.
BY ORDER OF THE
WYTHE COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION
ERIC W. CROWGEY, CHAIR
Legals: Please print in the October 24, 2018 edition of the Wytheville Enterprise. Please forward a certificate of publication to Michelle Cassell at 340 South Sixth Street, Wytheville, VA 24382.
NOTICE OF PROPOSED ROAD ABANDONMENT
ROUTE 737 – BUCKLEY DRIVE
Pursuant to §33.2-909 of the Code of Virginia, the Wythe County Board of Supervisors will consider abandonment of a section of Route 737, Buckley Drive, from Route 11 to the end of state maintenance, a distance of .13 miles. Anyone wishing a public hearing be held by the Board of Supervisors prior to its consideration of this proposed abandonment should contact the County Administrator’s Office on or before November 30, 2018 to request a public hearing.
Wythe County Board of Supervisors
340 South Sixth Street
Wytheville, VA 24382