WATER APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Water Application forms can be picked up at the Water Department office or may be obtained online at www.wytheco.org. All applications must be signed by owner of the property and notarized.
Water and Wastewater bills are due the 15th day of every month. Payments may be made at the water department office by check, cash, or debit/credit card; paid by phone with a debit /credit card; or checks can be mailed to the Wythe County Water & Wastewater Department, Administration Building, 340 South Sixth Street, Wytheville, Virginia, 24382.
Water and Wastewater bills are mailed by the 18th of the month. Any payments received after the 15th of the following month will be assessed with a 10% penalty. A 1.5% penalty will be added each month thereafter for each month of delinquency.
When you make application for water and wastewater, your first water and wastewater bill will be sent after the 15th of the following month. If you have a question regarding your water wastewater bill or you have a leak, please contact the Water Department as soon as possible in order to make adjustments, if applicable.
CUT – OFF POLICY
The following water cut-off policy was adopted by the Board of Supervisors at their April 14, 2010 Board Meeting:
Meters are read on the 15th of each month and bills are sent out by the 18th of each month. Water and sewer bills are due by the 15th of the next month. If the bill is not paid on the 15th of the next month, a disconnect notice will be sent giving you 10 days to pay. If not paid by the 10th day, the 11th day your service will be disconnected.
If water service is disconnected due to non payment, the customer must come into the Water Department office to reapply and sign a new agreement and pay the total bill due plus a $50.00 reconnection fee.
If wastewater service is disconnected due to non-payment, the customer must come into the Water & Wastewater Department office to reapply and sign a new agreement and pay the total bill due plus a $100.00 reconnection fee.
Questions in billing should be directed to Wythe County Water and Wastewater Department at 276-223-4501.
LEAKS AND ADJUSTMENTS
1. Adjustments for leaks shall be limited to one adjustment every twelve (12) months. However, an adjustment to a single leak may occur over two consecutive months’ bills due to timing of leak, meter readings, and billings.
2. Adjustments shall be allowed for subsurface leaks. Adjustments for non-subsurface leaks, not immediately visible, may be approved by the Wythe County Board of Supervisors Water Committee.
3. The customer must notify the Water Department of any leaks and must fix the leak immediately. The Water Department is not responsible for notifying the customer of a leak, but will make an effort to contact customer if a leak is suspected.
4. The customer must either provide certification from a licensed plumber that the leak has been repaired or provided pictures, repair bills, invoices, etc. of the repair. The Water Department may require that staff personally view repaired leak.
5. The customer must make necessary repairs and make application for a leak adjustment within fifteen days of the first discovery of the leak.
6. Adjusted rate: The rate that will be charged for the catastrophic loss volume will be the system purchase cost of water plus 15%. (Example: For systems purchasing water from the New River Regional Water Authority at a cost of $2.00 per thousand, the adjusted rate would be $2.00 plus 15%, which would equal $2.30 per thousand.)
7. Calculation of Bill - Average usage based on six-month history billed at standard rates, plus catastrophic loss volume billed at adjusted rate, plus a $10.00 administrative fee.