BUILDING INSPECTION DEPARTMENT
340 SOUTH SIXTH STREET
WYTHEVILLE, VA 24382
Requirements for making application - Building Permit
1. Homeowner's name, address, and phone number.
2. Description of construction and proposed use.
3. Description of property - location, map, deed, and account numbers and registered owner. (This information will be used by the Building Official to determine if the lot or tract of property meets all applicable subdivision ordinance requirements. No permits may be issued on lots or tracts divided in conflict with any applicable ordinance). When giving description of property, please include route numbers and mileage, if possible.
4. Total acreage of property, as stated in deed. Copy of Signed & Recorded Survey Plat or deed to property. Copy of signed and recorded plat or deed.
5. Septic Disposal Permit - obtain from Wythe County Environmental Health Services, 750 Ridge Road, Wytheville, VA 24382. (located next to Wythe Community Hosptial). A septic permit is required before a building permit may be issued and is necessary when building a single-family dwelling, building bedroom additions that are not included when original septic was installed or building a bathroom addition to an existing home that never had a septic system. If the septic system is existing, we must have verification in our files from the Health Department stating that the existing septic system is satisfactory for the addition. If the septic system is not existing, you must make application at the Health Department for a septic and water permit. Once your septic and water system permit is issued, bring a copy to the Building Inspection Department and as long as you application complies with all ordinances, the Building Official will sign and approve your building permit.
6. Entranceway Permit - obtain from Virginia Department of Highway and Transportation (located on Highway 11S). An entranceway permit is required prior to making application for a building permit and is necessary when cutting a new driveway off a state maintained road. If property has existing driveway or is on a private road, this does not apply.
7. Dimensions of structure - width and length for first, second, third floor dimensions, basement area, garage or carport, or any additional rooms. If exact dimensions are not known, the total square footage for each floor is acceptable. Basement area, finished or unfinished, is included as living space.
8. Estimated cost of construction - If under contract, list contractor's name, address, phone number and Virginia State Contractor's license number. Estimated cost of construction $1,000 - $9,999 requires a Class C license, estimated cost of construction $10,000 - $119,999 requires a Class B license and $120,000 and up requires a Class A license. If contractor is listed as self or owner, no license is required, but the owner is required by State Law to make sure that whomever he hires is licensed appropriately if amount of construction is $1,000 or more. Expiration date of the contractor's license is necessary and if license has expired, it must be renewed prior to making application for a building permit.
9. Two copies of plans and specifications are required except for single family dwellings. A sketch will be required for garages, additions and single family dwellings.
10. Need to know if the property fronts on a state maintained road or does the property have a right of way. If property has a right of way, the width of the right of way is needed. If the right of way does not comply with necessary ordinances, additional information or a copy of the deed may be needed before a permit will be approved.
11. Need landowner's name, as stated in deed. If the property has been owned less than six months, need the previous owner's name. This information is used to obtain map # an deed book reference.
12. Mechanic's lien agent - necessary for new or altered one- or two-family dwellings and required by state law, effective June 1, 1992. The mechanic's lien agent is generally a lawyer, title insurance agent, or financial institution authorized by an owner to receive notice from any person entitled by law to seek payment for labor performed or materials furnished in connection with a one- or two-family dwelling. If a mechanic's lien agent is specified, list name, address, and phone number or the applicant may choose to not designate one.
13. Building permit fees - based on the total square footage of the structure. The building permit fee is 16 cents per square foot, plus a state levy tax of 2%. Basement area is included in the total square footage. Personal checks are accepted and are payable to Wythe County Treasurer and need to be made for the exact amount of the permit.
14. If any alterations or changes need to be made to a permit application affecting the size of the square footage or classification of the building, please notify our office prior to the building permit being issued or prior to paying for the permit, if possible. Otherwise, the permit issued must be voided and a new application must be made with the necessary permit fees paid again. Building permit fees are refundable but the 1.75% state levy tax is not refundable. In the event you have been issued a permit and decide to not to build the designated area, building permit fees are refundable as long as no inspections have been made and it has been within six months from the date the building permit was issued. Any exception to this rule must be approved by the Building Official. Refunds are issued by the Treasurer of Wythe County.
15. Electrical Service and equipment shall be inspected and approved by Building Inspection Department before AEP will be notified to energize service.